Whether you’re assembling a cannabis posse or having both tokers and non-partakers over for a Halloween party, here are six things you must do for a happy Halloweed!
1. Wear a 4/20-meets-10/31 costume.
Part of what makes Halloween so unique is its pageantry, so don’t downplay the significance of costumes. You don’t have to go all out and create something ornate from scratch; just be clever enough to give off the right vibe. Agate Dreams has a great list to choose from in “The Best Marijuana Themed Halloween Costumes,” and World of Weed offers lots of DIY ideas in “15 HIGH-larious Stoner Halloween Costumes” and “Best Stoner Halloween Ideas 2019,” including:
- The Zig-Zag Man
- Best Buds
- Miss Cannabis
- Team THC Cheerleader
- Homemade Blunt
- Pot Brownie
- Mary Jane
- Weed Doctor
- Canna Bee
- Pantone Color Combo
- The Plug
2. Smoke Halloween-themed weed strains.
Depending on the size of your party, you might want to ask guests to bring their own weed, rather than providing everything yourself. Alternatively, guests could chip in on the cost of putting together the herb equivalent of a charcuterie board for everyone to enjoy. Offer some of these strains:
- Alien OG
- Black Hell
- Black Widow
- Blueberry Ghost OG
- Candy Corn
- Durban Poison
- Ecto Cooler
- Ghost OG
- Ghost Train Haze
- Jack The Ripper
- Jock Horror
- Killer OG
- Killer Queen
- The Blood
- Voo Doo
- White Monster Automatic
- Witches Weed
- Zombie Kush
3. Make a bong out of a pumpkin.
Yes, this can actually be done. All you need is a hollowed-out pumpkin with three holes: one for the bowl you burn your cannabis in; one for your mouth; and one that’s a breather hole. For step-by-step instructions and a link to a DIY video from Zamnesia, click here.
And if bongs aren’t your thing, reefer or not, you can still have a great time carving a pumpkin in another fun way. Better Homes & Gardens has 60 printable pumpkin-carving stencils, ranging from basic to intricate, available here.
4. Serve spooky edibles and cannabis-infused (nonalcoholic) beverages.
There are plenty of online and brick-and-mortar stores where you can buy gummies, cookies, sodas and other treats with cannabis in them. But if you’re into prepping your own dishes, try these hauntingly delicious recipes:
- Magical Gummies (Magical Butter)
- Creepy Finger Cookies (CannabisCheri)
- Death by Chocolate Cupcakes (CannabisCheri)
- Halloween Spiderweb Marijuana Bean Dip (CannabisCheri)
- Halloween Krispie Treats (Crazy for Crust) (Substitute cannabutter for butter.)
You can also serve ganja goodies that won’t get anyone high, too. For example, check out Leafly’s recipe for non-psychoactive spiced CBD cider.
5. Play a weed game.
If your crowd is into board games, consider playing Stoner City, Weed-opoly or Weed Jenga. Alternatively, you can turn watching a scary movie into a smoking/vaping/dapping game. Every time someone jumps or screams while you’ve got the movie on, take a hit from a bong or pipe.
6. Keep things fun by keeping safe.
No party is fun when someone has more weed than they can handle, and that’s easy to do if you’re focused on games and partying instead of keeping track of your intake. To make sure that everyone can have a good time both before and after the party, do the following.
- Have your guests plan how they’ll get home once they arrive. Don’t wait until someone is tipsy or baked to have them start thinking about how to get home safely – especially if you’re not down for turning your house into a hotel.
- Establish expectations for experiencing the effects of weed. If your guests are smoking, vaping or dapping, they’ll feel the effects of weed within 15 minutes, and the overall experience will last about two to three hours. If your guests are eating your weed brownies, they might not feel the effects for two hours, but then their high will last for four to six hours.
- Clearly label things that contain cannabis. You might even have a “cannabis corner” or designated area where only cannabis-infused snacks and drinks are served. That way no one will end up grazing without realizing that they’re taking in loads of ganja.
- Limit your cannabis-infused goodies to half of what’s served at the party. Leave out chips, soda, coffee, pretzels, popcorn, fruit or veggie platters, and bottles of water as cannabis-free alternatives.
- Smoke flowers instead of concentrates, and use low-THC strains. Dry herb gives a more stable high, and concentrates are infamous for being potent and causing side effects. If you need to reduce negative side effects, eat mangos or apricots, which contain chemical compounds that assist THC through the blood-brain barrier. To help with THC absorption, consume natural fats, such as nuts and coconut oil.
- Don’t mix weed and alcohol. In high quantities, these cause sedation.
All that said, have a great time! Halloweed comes but once a year, so try something new and keep making the next year’s Halloweed better and better.
Kathleen Hearons is a writer, editor, linguist and voice over actor from Los Angeles. She specializes in creative writing and research-intensive analysis and reporting.
Sources and Suggested Reading
Alden. “15 HIGH-larious Stoner Halloween Costumes.” World of Weed. October 20, 2017. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.worldofweed.com/15-highlarious-stoner-halloween-costume-ideas/.
Alden. “Celebrate a Stoner Halloween.” World of Weed. October 18, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.worldofweed.com/stoner-halloween-ideas-2019/.
“Five Great Movies to Watch Stoned.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/five-great-movies-to-watch-stoned/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “A Deep Dive Into the Origin of Halloween.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/a-deep-dive-into-the-origin-of-halloween/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “Bela Lugosi Movies: A Fan’s Guide to the Perfect Watchlist.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/bela-lugosi-movies-a-fans-guide-to-the-perfect-watchlist/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “Best Weed Strains for Horror Movie Night.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/best-weed-strains-for-horror-movie-night/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “Haunted? How to Contact the Spirits on Halloween: They May Be Closer Than You Think.” Head Magazine. https://headmagazine.com/haunted-how-to-contact-the-spirits-on-halloween-they-may-be-closer-than-you-think/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “Horror Movies: the Good, the Bad and the Immortal.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/horror-movies-the-good-the-bad-and-the-immortal/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “Why Did the Ancient Celts Get High on Halloween?.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/why-did-the-ancient-celts-get-high-on-halloween/.
Hearons, Kathleen. “Why the Scream Near the End of ‘Psycho’ Is Silent.” Head Magazine. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://headmagazine.com/why-the-scream-near-the-end-of-psycho-is-silent/.
Kern, Dorothy. “Halloween Rice Krispie Treats.” Crazy for Crust. Last modified September 28, 2020. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.crazyforcrust.com/halloween-rice-krispie-treats/.
“Magical Gummies.” Magical Butter. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://magicalbutter.com/blogs/gummies/magical-gummies.
Martens, Sarah. “60 Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils to Personalize Your Porch Decor.” Better Homes & Gardens. Last modified October 2, 2023. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.bhg.com/halloween/pumpkin-carving/halloween-pumpkin-stencils/.
Meadows, Hannah. “Recipes: 4 Cannabis-Infused Treats for Your 21+ Halloween Party.” Leafly. October 26, 2017. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/recipe-cannabis-infused-treats-halloween.
Sicard, Cheri. “Death by Chocolate Halloween Decorated Weed Cupcakes Recipe.” CannabisCheri. October 5, 2016. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.cannabischeri.com/food/recipes/halloween-marijuana-recipes-death-by-chocolate-cupcakes/.
Sicard, Cheri. “Halloween Marijuana Cookies: Creepy Finger Cookies Recipe.” CannabisCheri. October 15, 2015. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.cannabischeri.com/food/recipes/creepy-finger-cookies-halloween-marijuana-recipes/.
Sicard, Cheri. “Halloween Spiderweb Marijuana Bean Dip with ‘Baked’ Tortilla Chips.” CannabisCheri. October 5, 2016. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.cannabischeri.com/food/recipes/halloween-marijuana-recipes-spiderweb-dip/.
“Stoner City (2005).” BoardGameGeek. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25356/stoner-city.
Sumpter, Luke. “How to Make a Halloween Pumpkin Bong.” Zamnesia. Last modified March 29, 2022. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-how-to-make-a-halloween-pumpkin-bong-n1556.
“The Best Marijuana Themed Halloween Costumes.” Agate Dreams. October 27, 2017. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.agatedreams.com/best-marijuana-themed-halloween-costumes/.
“Weed-opoly (2015).” BoardGameGeek. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/339194/weed-opoly.
Weston, Evan. “How to Play Weed Jenga.” ReeferPosts. March 4, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2023. https://www.reeferposts.com/weed-jenga/.